The ‘No Regrets’ course for Year 8 and Early Start Year 10s promotes students thinking seriously about the what, when and how of their own sexuality. Within each session students have the opportunity to learn more about themselves and be challenged with Biblical teaching addressing questions such as:
- What relationship and sexual messages are communicated to us by our society, in both obvious and not so obvious ways?
- What are the consequences for us of uncritically adopting these messages, in both changes to our thoughts and attitudes and the influences on our behaviour?
- Are there consequences to unrestricted internet use and to pornography and what could a student do if they became affected or addicted?
- What are some of the pitfalls to be wary of in boyfriend/girlfriend relationships?
- What is the Bible’s teaching on sexuality, abstinence and marriage? How does this compare with the messages communicated to us by our society and what are the benefits that follow when we live in accordance with Biblical principles?
The Year 8 course is an introduction to the topic and takes five periods.
In contrast, the Year 10 course is four days of five periods per day and covers more topics in greater depth. Some of the additional aspects in the Year 10 course include wise dating, ‘the whole person’ development, sexual identity, sexual progression, abuse, legal issues, STIs, unwanted pregnancy, sexuality related statistics from our society and a mock wedding and reception. We also have several guest speakers come in to share their expertise and experiences with the students.